Children's Church: Elementary (Bridge/Kinder-5th)
Children's Church is a worship service in our fellowship hall that happens during the middle section of our main worship service. At Southminster we value having our children in worship, but we also value them learning in an environment in way that captures their attention and imagination. This service is structured similarly to our main service in the sanctuary, but it is also structured to engage children in ways that are appropriate for their age. Children are always accompanied by a team of adults and youth who lead them each Sunday. They leave the main worship service after the first hymn, and then return after around the doxology. Children are always back with the main worship service during baptisms and communion.
Current Series: Bible Trivia - How Well Do You Know Your Bible?
Our current sermon series in our worship service is called Foundations: Exploring the Bible. We're learning about key beliefs that makeup the foundation of faith for followers of Jesus. Our elementary children will also be learning about the Bible over the next several weeks with this series, Bible Trivia.
Idea: Learning what’s in the Bible can be great fun, but the most important reason to
learn what’s IN the Bible is so we know how to live it OUT. Let’s learn some Bible trivia that will help remind us to love others like God loves us.
Memory Verse: “We know that “We all have knowledge.” But knowledge makes
people proud, while love builds them up. Those who think they know something still don’t know as they should. But whoever loves God is known by God.” 1 Corinthians 8:1-3 NIRV
- 1/6 - How Many Books In the Good Book - In this lesson kids will learn trivia about the
Bible itself, how many books are included, who wrote it, and why it can be trusted. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
- 1/13 - A Lot of Firsts - Kids will learn about Creation, the first man, the first woman, and the
first sin. Genesis 1:1-2, 1:26-30 and 3:1-7
- 1/20 - Judge Wisely - Kids will learn about the Judges in Israel, specifically Deborah, Gideon
and Samson. Kids will learn how Deborah trusted God completely, Gideon was afraid but learned to trust God, and Samson was prideful and had to be humbled before he completely submitted to God. Judges 4:4-9, 6:14-16, 16:28-30
- 1/27 - Fit for a King - Saul, David and Solomon all lead Israel after the Judges. Kids will
learn some trivia about each king and which king was called a man after God’s own heart. 1 Samuel 16:1-13 Samuel anoints David
- 2/3 - Prophetic Knowledge - Simeon and Anna beheld a wondrous sight when baby Jesus was
brought to the temple to be dedicated. They recognized that Jesus was the light that would shine for all people – Jews and Gentiles. Luke 2:21-40, Jesus Presented in the Temple
- 2/10 - Things Jesus Did - In this lesson kids will learn about Jesus’ birth, life, death, and
resurrection and why all of the Bible points to Jesus' life. Luke 2:4-12 Jesus’ birth, Luke 5:17-26 Jesus heals the paralyzed man, Matthew 28:1-7 Jesus Has Risen
- 2/17 - Things Jesus Said - Kids will learn some of the most important things Jesus said while
he was here on earth. The Beatitudes. Matthew 5:1-12 the Beatitudes, Matthew 28:16-20
- 2/24 - No Children's Church - Children will be in worship for Southminster School Sunday!
- 3/3 - The 12 Disciples - The 12 Disciples were Jesus’ closest friends. Kids will learn who
they were and how their lives show us how Jesus has asked us to live. Mark 3:13-19 Jesus appoints 12 disciples.
- 3/10 - The First Church - Kids will learn about the early church, how they treated each other, and what that means for us today. Acts 4:32-35 The Believers share everything.
- 3/17 - Mission Possible - Kids will learn about Paul's life and how he became a missionary for Jesus. Acts 9:1-19 Saul's conversion.
- 3/24 - Knowing How It Ends - Kids will learn about Revelation and what Jesus has promised for those who accept him as their Savior. Revelation 21:1-17
- 3/31 - Final Review - In this final lesson kids will review questions from all of the Bible trivia they have learned. 2 Timothy 2:15 Teach the Word of God correctly.
Children's Church Team Leaders: Lisa Landry, Doris Funderburk, Susan Evans, Billy & Carla Lynch